Poulton was never under the rule of a single landowner and hence no documents or written evidence can be found on the rulers of this place.

Queen Elizabeth allowed the church to look after the administration and many landowners of Poulton were local farmers.

Lancashire was not a county in 1086 and Poulton was under Yorkshire County, there were over 60 villages under the Yorkshire County during that period.

The Domesday survey states that there were 3 churches in Poulton in Amounderness, however exact details are not available and hence it can be said that only one church was located at Poulton.

Poulton is considered a huge Anglo-Saxon parish of Kirkham, the church of Poulton is dedicated to an Anglo-Saxon bishop, St Chad, and this shows that the church of Poulton was constructed prior to the Norman Conquest.

Shores Ltd

We supply domain names to suit business or personal projects, just visit our website to see the selection of great names.

shores.ltd.uk
In 1600, life for the citizens of Poluton would have been a hard struggle as many lived in mud houses with thatched roofs

There were only six streets and when a plague hit the village during 1622, many people died.

The Parish registers shows that there were more children than adults, the total population of Poulton was only around 300 people.

The plague also caused havoc in the nearby Kirkham, poor living conditions and meagre diet were the main reasons behind the deaths of many people.

During harsh winters, many people died unable to edure the cold, they were also very suceptible to the spread of common infections and epidemics.

The local people collected rushes and cut wood from the low lying areas near the River Wyre, the rushes were used for floors and the wood turned into furniture.

The coastal areas without the woodland cover were exposed to the salt winds, black peat was available in these areas which provided a useful source of fuel.

In 1642, the people of Poulton were divided in their loyalties as some supported Royalists and some the Parliamentarians, many Royalist supporters were trapped in the River Wyre during the Civil War.

Shores Ltd

We supply domain names to suit business or personal projects, just visit our website to see the selection of great names.

shores.ltd.uk
During the 18th century, new techniques were introduced in agriculture and as a result the poverty of the people of Poulton began to decrease, the food prices became stable and the devastation due to epidemics was also brought under control, life in Poulton improved considerably during this period.

During recent years, Poulton has undergone massive development and many tourists are visiting the town throughout the year.

Much historical information is displayed on various buildings and heritage sites and a trip around the town can provide more facts about the pre-historic times of Poulton.

Nowadays, the life in Poulton is busy and it has a active market area with many cafes, restaurants and coffee shops.

Poulton in Cheshire was previoulsy inhabited by a community of Cistercian monks, who established an abbey on the Welsh border, located on the banks of river Dee.

In 1214, the monks moved to another site in Staffordshire as they grew weary of the incursions from the Welsh, they shifted their base to Dieulacres Abbey in Staffordshire which is just outside Leek.

Poulton is a place of archaeological interest where researchers have found many prehistoric collections like Roman pottery, human bones and medieval roof tiles.

Poulton is located in the county Lancashire in North West of England, the name ‘Poulton – the town near the pool’ is given because this town is situated on the banks of the River Wyre flowing at the foot of the Breck.

The name Poulton was changed to Poulton- le-Fylde as there was confusion in delivering post, frequently it was delivered to another village of the same name Poulton-le-Sands.

A 12,000 year old elk was discovered during 1970’s when the earth was dug to lay foundations for a new house, from this time, Poulton has gained international fame and more and more archaeologists showed interest in this small town, an interesting fact was revealed by the hunting barbs found entrenched in the bones of the leg of the elk, which proved that human hunters had inhabited Poulton long ago.

Shores Ltd

We supply domain names to suit business or personal projects, just visit our website to see the selection of great names.

shores.ltd.uk
Poulton was a natural commercial and social centre for many tiny rural communities situated in a wide area from Kirkham to Lytham.

Poulton was built on one of the low hills in the banks of River Wyre near the western part of the Fylde.

Poulton was a market town and it was always crowded with farmers selling their produce, blacksmiths, carpenters, shoemakers, tailors and dressmakers also came to the town to sell and purchase goods.

The market cross in Poulton shows that customary markets were held in this area long ago.

For many centuries markets have been held in Poulton and a document of 1628 provides evidence that Poulton was a major commercial hub during olden days.

Information about the first church in Poulton was found in a document written in1094, in which it is said that the church in Poulton was presented to the Abbey at Sees by Roger de Poitou, the Norman knight.

Many other churches in Amounderness were in the clutch of the Norman Abbey for a long period of time, during the reign of Henry IV he disbanded the power of overseas abbeys to seize land in England.

The Victorians began a programme of building churches on the coastline of Fylde during the nineteenth century and as a result there are many churches located on the coastal area, the St Chad Parish, Gate Lane and parish of Lytham were built during this period.

A Roman fortlet was excavated in Kirkham, 15 miles from Poulton, although here is no proof that the Romans developed the area adjacent to the coast.

The land of Flyde coast was stagnant and covered with moss and only it had a thin population for many centuries.